In 1940 Eugène Laflamme established South Shore Furniture by buying a bankrupt wooden toy manufacturing business previously owned by Pierre and Jean de Ste-Croix-de-Lotbinière. Understanding the seasonal nature of the toy business, South Shore diversified production to include kitchen tables and chairs. The factory was rebuilt on the original site in 1941 and again in 1951 after it was damaged by fire. When the wooden furniture market suffered with the appearance of Chrome furniture in 1952, South Shore expanded its product range to include bedroom furnishings.
In 1970 Guy Laflamme succeeded his father as managing director for South Shore Furniture. During this period of time the company expanded its production by incorporating Morrissette et frères in Laurierville. Then in 1978, it was J.W. Kilgour Ltd. of Coaticook that became another South ShoreTM factory. Over the years all 3 factories have undergone several phases of investment and expansion to make South Shore Furniture what it is today.
In 1986, Jean Laflamme joined the company and in 1999 Guy Laflamme designated him President while he maintained the position of President of the Board of Directors. Mr. Jean Laflamme represents the third generation at the head of South Shore Furniture.
In 2010, it was the 70th anniversary of the company and also the year the Mexican’s plant was acquired.